POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ebay arghhh! : ebay arghhh! Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:22:16 EDT (-0400)
  ebay arghhh!
From: scott
Date: 26 Nov 2007 04:59:18
Message: <474a98f6@news.povray.org>
Has anyone else ever had problems with ebay's apparent over-zealous
protection features?

I've had my account "hijacked" three times now.  The first time I thought I
just had not chosen a strong enough password and someone used some
dictionary attack to log in as me.  So I changed it to a suitably strong
password, and within 15 mins of listing an item my account was blocked again
because of "unauthorised use" of my account.

So, again, I chose yet another password (on a different PC this time incase
there was some spyware on my other PC) and all was fine.  I came home last
night, listed an item, and within 10 minutes I had an email from ebay saying
my account had been used illegally to list items, and then they had deleted
all my auctions, including ones that had finished!

Now here is the killer, they sent a message to the winners of all my
previous auctions saying that they were not legitimate auctions and they
should contact the police if they had already paid!!  WTF - surely it's
illegal for them to send out such messages without first checking if the
auctions really were legitimate or not?

Anyway, I had to spend about 30 minutes with some stupid liveChat thing to
get those auctions put back on to my account, and then email all the winners
to explain to them what happened and not to worry.

I really don't know what to do, ebay just keeps pointing me at the same
stupid set of security guidelines when clearly something else is screwing up
my account...